Monday, 3 July 2006

Going with the Flow

FORREST
Hello. My name's Forrest Gump.

He opens a box of chocolates and holds it out for the nurse.

FORREST
You want a chocolate?

The nurse shakes her head, a bit apprehensive about this strange man next to her.

FORREST
I could eat about a million and a half of these. My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
Forrest Gump Screenplay

I was on my way to the Internet shop. I intended to post something to a friend about the World Cup. As I walked past the YMCA a man came out of the building. He muttered to me that there was some religious meeting going on that had put him off. He asked me if I'd seen the news headlines all going on about the end of the world. The newspapers were referring to the fact that England had lost to Portugal in the World Cup. We chatted about the football. I told him I'd written a piece about the World Cup. My friend told me he was also a writer. Did I fancy going to his house so he could show me his books? He said I could wait outside if I didn't feel comfortable as he was a stranger. But I followed him into his house. One of his books is called The Irish: A Photohistory 1840 - 1940. My friend is not a photographer but a collector of old photographs and a historian. To see more of his collection go into Corbis, then type "Sean Sexton Collection."

It was lovely spending time with my friend. He shared his passion for history, photos, his views on religion, and his political beliefs. It turned out he also needed to go to the Internet shop, not the one I had in mind though. He recommended that I use the one he was going to as they had better facilities. I took his advice.

Later, I went to sit in the park. A photographer was taking pictures of a bride and groom and their guests. The bride looked beautiful. While I was relaxing on a bench, a man approached me. He asked me how I was and I said I was very good. I asked him if he was having fun. He said his girlfriend had just gone home to Brazil and he was a bit lonely. Would I be interested in being his girlfriend? I said I wasn't available. He then walked away. It would have been fun just sitting together and having a chat at that moment. Why does the sex thing have to come between us? Why can't we just be like kids who want to play at that moment just because it's fun?

A few minutes later I saw this boy running towards a skateboard. He asked who it belonged to. Four teenagers approached and one said it belonged to him. The boy asked if he could skate on it. One of the boys showed him how. He played for a few minutes until his father dragged him away. Now, that's what I'm talking about - a boy who simply wants to have fun at that moment.

It's good to go with the flow.

Life is beautiful.

Enocia