Sunday, 18 June 2006

Weaning

"If you are willing to renounce the role of guardian of your thought system and open it to me, I will correct it very gently and lead you back to God." A Course in Miracles

"Human life is beset with sorrow until we know how to tune in with the Divine Will, whose 'right course' is often baffling to the egoistic intelligence. God bears the burden of the cosmos; He alone can give unerring counsel."
Autobiography of a Yogi
Imagine a mother breast-feeding her new-born baby. The mother continues breast-feeding for as long as she thinks is appropriate. As the mother knows her baby has become accustomed to this way of feeding, she doesn't force the baby to stop having breast milk. She weans the baby slowly off the milk until one day the baby no longer craves breast-milk but feeds only on solid food.

The human experience is the equivalent of indulging in breast milk and then having to be weaned off it. We come into this experience as perfect eternal beings but then we are programmed with the many human beliefs such as health, nutrition, religion, etc until we come to see ourselves as "only human" that is subject to suffering, disease, old age and death. We have forgotten who we are as the one perfect and glorious Spirit.

One day you hear the "calling" for you to get on the "spiritual" path and there starts the process of undoing all you've learned. In truth, the calling to walk the "spiritual path" is from the one Spirit that we all are. Everyone is called. The Spirit works with each individual according to how ready he is to give up a particular belief, and guides the individual gently back home. In truth, we've never left home; we are living at home in Spirit right now, but our beliefs that we are mortals make it feel as if we're away from home.

Now, while many of the spiritual teachings out there are useful, it is important to bear in mind that they are only guides/maps only. Only the Spirit, our real Self can guide each individual to realise Self. This means though we are all walking the one spiritual path as in awakening to who we are, we are all on different paths because each of us is at different levels of realising Self.

One belief Spirit has been gradually weaning me off is the belief that I can't possibly survive without water. Before I go into this in further details, let me quote part of an article someone posted at a forum yesterday, which inspired me to write this article:

"According to a study published by the American Journal of Epidemiology (Vol. 155, No.9) people that drink five or more glasses of plain water a day have a much lower risk of fatal coronary heart disease compared to those who drink less than two glasses per day.

[...]

"Drinking plenty of water is a simple lifestyle change that anybody can adopt and while not as glamorous, the degree of benefits surpasses that of drinking small amounts of alcohol or taking aspirin (with non of the adverse side effects). It is also clear that adopting this practice has the potential of saving tens of thousands of lives each year and saving billions in “heath care” costs.

"So… whether you go to camping to the high desert looking for solitude or to the local urban jungle looking for the latest at the mall, remember that carrying water for your journey (and drink along the way) might be the ultimate act of love... to your heart."
Is Drinking Plenty of Water an Act of Love?
Like a mother, the Spirit has been gently weaning me out of my dependency on water. First of all I was inspired to study the book Science and Health by Mary Baker Eddy which I cannot recommend highly enough. The book is the Christian Science textbook. It helped me challenge many false beliefs I had about health. I was so inspired I considered becoming a member of the religion but the Voice of Spirit advised me to simply study the textbook as a guide only and move on.

Back to the belief I had about water. I used to love bottled water. After my school visit to the local sewage works, when we were shown how London tap water is recycled, who can blame me for never wanting to touch the stuff? There came a point when I couldn't afford to buy expensive brands so it was time to test out some Truth from "Science and Health." Could I survive without my favourite brand of water? I started buying cheaper brands. I was still alive. Then I stopped buying bottled water and started drinking tap water. Still healthy. Then I started drinking water from public toilets as I felt the need. What do you know? I was alive and kicking! I found I still needed to drink lots of water during the day. Could it be I still had the belief that I needed a litre (or is it 2 litres) of water a day, as experts tell us? Gradually, I was weaned out of that belief. For the last year I've been going through a whole day and not drinking any water and only having some late at night. It's not that I'm depriving myself, it's simply because I stopped thinking about it. And when I don't think about water, I'm not thirsty.

For the last few months I've only been eating one meal a day with some tissue paper in between. Again, I'm not hungry because I don't think about food. I'm sustained by my work. I have so much energy. Even when we had the heat wave last week, I've still been out and about with no thought for food and drink, though I have had the occasional chocolate.

Waking up for me is about being weaned out of different habits. That's what I believe time is for. And each of us is being given assistance tailored to our particular needs.

Back to the article, do I believe drinking water is an act of love? Yes I do because, as I see it, water is Love in manifestation. However, I do not share the paradigm in the article. It makes no difference whether I drink or don't drink water, I am unchanging Love.

Nothing can be added to or taken away from Love.

Enocia

Related articles: House of Mirrors; A Christmas Message - Cold Turkey; Maps